Even fun has a budget. Maybe you do not have enough money to spend wining and dining yourself at five star restaurants or engaging in thrill rides at the local amusement park, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time. Try one of these five fun things to do for under $5.00 next time you find yourself strapped for cash.
1. Check out the library. Whether you live in a city with multiple branches or a small town with just one humble collection, the library is more fun now than you remember it being in school. You’ll be impressed with how updated your local library has become. You can use their computers to surf the web, attend local events, and stock up on books, movies and music for your personal entertainment. Most libraries are free to join and will provide hours of entertainment and financial freedom.
2. Rent a movie or two. You don’t need a fancy cable plan to get instant access to one of the new movie releases. Get a movie from Redbox for only a dollar a day. You can get the movies out of the big red boxes positioned near grocery stores and other retailers, or rent them online. You can even download a Redbox app for your iPhone or Droid. Make some popcorn or gather snacks from the pantry and settle in for an evening of inexpensive fun.
3. Head to the park. This is a great idea if you have kids, but don’t be afraid to spend some time on the swings even if you don’t. The playful energy at any local playground is contagious. Take a walk, ride a bike, bring a Frisbee, or pack a picnic lunch. Give yourself a little fresh air and physical activity for little or no money.
4. Go out for ice cream. Personally, I love a vanilla soft serve with rainbow sprinkles. At my locally owned ice cream stand, I can get it for as little as $2.00. There’s no need to spend obscene amounts of dough at Haagen Daz or Cold Stone. Find a place that sells a simple cone, and enjoy a sugary treat with a friend.
5. Cruise the yard sales. If you need some retail therapy, your $5.00 can go much further when you buy secondhand. Perhaps you will stumble upon a treasure or find the perfect knick knack for your home. Get up early and walk or drive to the yard and garage sales in your local area. You never know what you’ll find, and you will probably meet some interesting people along the way.